Saturday, September 29, 2007

Mattress stitch, kitchner, and all seams invisible...

It's the simple things that make me happy. This week, it was an unexpected revelation with sewing seams.

Finishing is not really my strong suit. I have been able to do a serviceable seam, but not always a pretty one on the first try. There is often unravelling, ripping, restitching (and sometimes cursing) before the seam comes into being. I also have several books with great illustrations that seem to put the process just out of my grasp.

This weekend, I started finishing the vest/steek experiment. Its to have an I-cord border around the neck, bottom, and either side of the center opening. Before that could get started, I had to seam the shoulders.

I usually match right sides together and seam from the wrong side of the work. It was not working so well for this piece. The variegated yarn was all wrong in the seam and looked like the good Dr. Frankie (see here) had made a go of it. It would just be easier if I could see what I was doing a little better. So, I put the pins lower in the work and opened up the seam so that I could see where I was stitching. It also turned out that I could see how the seaming was supposed to duplicate the knit stitches on either side of the work. Perfect little V's all in a row. Huzzah! Eureka! Woohoo!

After thinking about it some more, it seems like I could do this with just about any seam. Why not even Kitchner toes? They are hidden by a shoe most of the time, but the perfectionist in me wants to make them pretty all the same.

This idea has me really amped up -- so much so that there is a sweater that may achieve finishing in the near future. It has spent a long time in project purgatory because I got to the point that I didn't really know what to do next. And once I did figure it out, I didn't want to deal with it. When it's finished, it will free up a lot of space in the pending basket. And I can buy more yarn. That sounds like motivation enough.....

No comments: