Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A pirate's life for me......



(Caution: This has some details from Pirates of the Caribbean 3 that were not in the reviews I have read so far and may be considered spoilers.)

I went to see the latest POTC installment this past weekend. It has absolutely nothing to do with knitting and probably has no place in this blog whatsoever, other than to give a bit of a window into my personality. It is a great "escape" movie -- swashbuckling adventure on the high seas with boats full of swarthy cutthroats....what could be better than that?

Anyway, a part of the movie has had me thinking for the better part of the last few days. Just before the climactic sea battle, the pirates are debating whether to fight or run. Who is it that inspires the crew to not only fight, but to defend their free lifestyle to the last man? It's Elizabeth. A WOMAN! It was great. We need more of these types of models for our young women and less of the empty-headed, body-baring, let-me-get-by-on-my-looks tanorexic cell phone addicts.

And these movies also get me thinking about staying true to yourself -- that's real freedom. The ancient Greeks knew that the first step to truth was knowing yourself. None of these characters pretend to be noble or good or any of that. They're pirates! Deal with it! It's that spirit of being true to yourself that leads me to knit, listen to punk, and read to kindergartners all in one package.

Embrace your inner pirate.......YAAR!

Yo ho, yo ho! A pirate's life for me...........

No comments: