Thursday, May 31, 2007

Redd Soxx






OK, this is not what my sister is getting for her birthday. This is sort of a cheat, because I actually completed this project a few weeks ago.



The picture does not really do justice to the PHENOMENAL color changes in the yarn -- Wildfoote's handpaint color Symphony -- a yummy mix of reds, yellow, browns and purple. (Yes, I couldn't believe it either. But it is sort of cool together...)



The pattern is a toe-up job and is my first try at this technique. I have included a close up of the toe so you can see how nice life can be without Kitchner stitch or grafting in your life. This was also a pattern that allowed both socks to be knitted on the needles at the same time. It made the process more interesting and kept this project from having a "sabbatical" while I procrastinated in beginning sock #2.



I love sock projects. They are quick and don't require a substantial yarn investment. You can also play around with patterns and whimsical (or downright weird) color combinations. What's the risk? If you don't like it, you can wear them around the house. Or maybe you have a friend who is in need of some sole comfort. Put them on the dog and take next year's Christmas card photo. Or if you really, REALLY don't like them, you can put them on your husband's golf clubs. Waste not, want not!

No comments: